Friday, October 19, 2012

The Chronicles of a Bus Commuter

This can be properly called part one. Although I have thus far experienced many things while riding buses – from gross ones to outright hilarious – I am in the belief that more is yet to come and to be experienced. In the past five months, owing to the change in the nature of my work, I have come in contact with many people whose lives involved the ubiquitous buses.
 

Aisle of Standing

Who hasn’t experienced it, standing along that infamous bus aisle? From children to pregnant women, from elders to students. Excluding those terrible standing rides during my high school days (when I used to do unplanned trips to Ortigas), the longest I have experienced in the past few months was around two hours. But I realized soon that it was not a very favorable situation as I was not able to read books or prepare lessons. Thus I always made it a point that I get a seat, whether the bus is Alabang bound only or straight to LRT.

The Missionaries

I have been seeing them since I remember riding buses. And today the motivation of these ‘missionaries’ tend to look more religious. Unfortunately there is one thing lacking in all they were saying before they turn and ask for ‘donations’: depth. There is no longer a strong logic in what they do, as if mere speech would suffice to convince the listener of their purpose. What is more interesting is to study the various (personal) motivations of these ‘sowers of the word’.

The (Quarrelling) Old Married Couple

This one was a rather ugly experience. You get to meet these senior citizens who seemed to be in need of assistance but get in return angry shouts and name calling. Not that I was the one who got shouted out, but I’ve seen an elder do that to a terminal porter. Which was not altogether good; the porter makes himself a living carrying bags and luggage and not getting barked out.

But that is not the end of the story. When the bus reached our city, this supposedly revered society elder literally dragged her spouse (I presume that was her spouse) and relieved themselves on one of the wheels of the bus; in full view of the people around particularly those bus vendors. The saddest part was when we saw the elder lady get slumped on the road side, apparently having a hard time balancing her body while she peed. They could have simply asked the driver or conductor to direct them to a roadside establishment with a decent comfort room and not doing a rather gross thing like that in public. So much for ‘with age comes wisdom’.

The Chronicles Continue

This is not the end yet. Each day in transit is a day for new experiences. Cheers to traveling!

No comments: