Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dwarven Song About Old Wealth and The Hobbit

.
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light...

I am having goose bumps as I write this. Part of the upcoming The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey movie is a song by the dwarves who were with the hobbit Bilbo Baggins in their journey to Lonely Mountain and I am listening to it right now. The song, seen and heard briefly in the first trailer, was simply eerie and moving. It only makes you anticipate more the movie. I have only read part of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings and since the movie would not be released until after twelve months, I will have enough time to finish them (although I already have an overview of the books).

The Lord of the Rings books and The Hobbit release one out of the limitations of this physical world and make you enjoy and live, at least temporarily, in a world or even worlds not bounded by constricting physical laws. High fantasy indeed is an apt description. Personally they also make me appreciate more the craft of (verbal) storytelling. I wish I’ll be in the moment when I could discuss the story and its intricacies under the night sky and the night stars, out there in a field.

Outside the books we could make our own adventures and journeys if we desire for it.

No comments: