Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nelson Mandela’s Take on the Libyan Turmoil


I found the Time article about Nelson Mandela (“Mandela: His 8 Lessons of Leadership” written by Richard Stengel; read the article here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3) particularly insightful. However, in light of what is happening now in Libya, I cannot help but look back in the article and recall the following lines:

“As a statesman, Mandela was uncommonly loyal to Muammar Gaddafi and Fidel Castro. They had helped the ANC when the U.S. still branded Mandela as a terrorist. When I asked him about Gaddafi and Castro, he suggested that Americans tend to see things in black and white, and he would upbraid me for my lack of nuance…”

I wonder what Mandela’s take is regarding the strife that is currently raging through Libya.

* Photo Credit: time.com

No comments: