Saturday, March 6, 2010

Descent To Hell: on the so-called hell week

In these tight times when I am squeezed on one side by the demanding personal and domestic responsibilities and deadline-characterized manuscripts and writing contests on the other, I naturally find writing things such as this one, a comforting haven.

And March will always pass by as swiftly as it came. For here lies a multitude of experiences one get to have perhaps at least once a year – exams scheduled side by side, 300+ pages of school paper works; or at a lighter side – quiet but happy anticipations for the graduating ones. I belong to this group.

But I understand those who I hear (and read) to speak less enthusiastically of March in UPLB, or maybe in UP in general. For the so-called Hell Week is in town, ready to torment the brains of the students, snatch those sleep hours away, and make them realize that 24 hours are not enough for a day.

I do remember those tight periods, when I had to arrange for a close friend to accompany me (through the telephone) in the night as I review my mathematical physics books and notes. I also remember having to suffer a screwed-up exam day as I had to take a classical mechanics exam and an electromagnetic theory exam (side-by-side!) while drunk. And how can I forget when a classmate approached me as I walked casually in the university, “Kuya, exam natin ngayon, saan ka punta?” Spicy memories indeed that, to a certain extent, I cherish anyway.

Perhaps an experience of those mountain of exams ands other school works as the end of the school year nears makes us more of a student. It’s in the way we look at things that we get to have different perspectives. One may curse the onset of the hell week, or one can brave it all and breathe a sigh of relief in the end. Whatever you choose, it’s up to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats cis..