Thursday, June 25, 2009

Writers’ Plight


I found a recent article of Conrado de Quiros in Inquirer particularly touching. In it, he relayed his experience in BIR where his profession (or passion?) was unruly disparaged. Nevertheless, he proceeded to explain how that singular event made him realize more the importance of his work in our country where there seems to be a distorted look on writing (well, in general). There was a personal event in which I could relate to de Quiros. I am not in any way equating myself to him (way too far) but only as far as standing strong in the passion of writing was concerned.

During the early months of my stay in the university, my mother and I have already started discussing whether I would stay on the course I was taking then or shift to a course I am more interested in (either history or any writing course; philosophy I would not take delight into until 2005). In the end, I stayed on in this course (in which I am currently battling out the fierce struggle on my thesis, hehe) for scholarship reasons – I was enjoying a scholarship which really helped eased the family of some major expenses.
But writing and history I was not able to get out of my mind. In some conversations with friends, I often say that if someone would ask me where I spent most of my college days, I would say that I spent them digging into history books in the Filipiniana section and tons of brittle lit books in the library. There was no way I would depart from my first love(s?).

As semesters passed, I become more interested in joining writing contests. This did not pass unnoticed from my mother who promptly asked what occupied me in those long hours in front of the computer. I said, writing contests. And she said, you can do all those things later on, when you have already finished your course.

She had a point. But to me, sticking with writing is not all about simply joining contests.

I have found great relief in transforming those jumbles of thought in my head into neat characters written on paper (or typed on the keyboard). Writing relaxes me, in the same way that beautiful scenery soothes a sick person. Writing enables me to create worlds with rules thoroughly detached from my own, from ours. It is not chaotic without rules; the worlds themselves form their life through those words used for them.

Perhaps it would take a long time before I could really dispose of other activities and devote more time in writing; a thing that other people have courageously done. For now, it is consoling to realize that I am still able to write. Though they are more frequently science-related, the whole point is that I get to write. De Quiros is taking his craft to a higher level and I am taking that as my platform (=inspiration) to elevate this aspect of my passion to a higher plane of learning and experience.

Science writer, eh? Not a bad idea after all.

Links
“Writer Ka Lang Pala” Part 1
“Writer Ka Lang Pala” Part 2

No comments: