Monday, September 15, 2008

Of Goals, Golds, and Godly Things



[This is in response to the persuasion I received in connection to a personal belief of an acquaintance of mine who, sadly enough, seemed to be unaware of the change in my outlook in certain aspects of my/our existence.]
Having been into numerous experiences together, a friend of mine could not help but visit me in our house and check on me. It was quite good for me since the concept of a “friend” has been a perennial personal issue.
We roamed the city and visited some places until we ended up on a food shop and he, convincing me into enrolling to a certain school (yeah, a religion-related school) that he plans to attend next year. I knew the premise behind his motivations to go there, but he insisted that he expound on them so that I might be persuaded.
He first asked me what I want to achieve ultimately in life. I have a concrete answer to that (well, to say it roughly, it’s about figuring out the meaning of my existence) but I decided to play upon and returned the question to him instead. Well he responded that people most of the time aspires for wealth, for fame, for pleasure, and for other “worldly” things. He then proceeded to ask, what would you do now if the people achieved all of them? Is that the end of life for them? For me, I kept my answers to myself because I do not want to argue with him. So he stated that that would be a boring life because essentially, there would be nothing left for those persons to do. It’s utterly meaningless, he said.
Along came the expounded premises. He said that ULTIMATELY, the GOAL of MAN is MAN himself. From that point, I felt that he was having the same thinking as I have. But on that point only. What proceeded next was a bit...well...expected of him. He said that the goal of man would be to bring souls into the next life. Even if we have all the things that we could ever dream of, he continued, one would not be ultimately completed unless the person could win a soul every single day. Indeed apart from this, the activities of man would be utterly futile and meaningless. Eternity, he said, is what maters most.
----
I’ve always treated such topics with respect and so I would not, even in this entry, attempt to have my reactions into those statements. I would instead lay down what I think is missing in these premises that he put forward.
First, I would daresay that to a certain extent, the present life is unworthy of continuance, being a place where war is ever-present, diseases is contagious, and poverty the ultimate killer of beings. The idea of eternity is what helps us to make through each day’s hardships – that peaceful future, an everlasting life where all is just happiness and love. But…that’s just it.
But I think since we are still in this “world”, why would we force our minds to leave the present states of our lives, force our eyes to close from the horrors of our daily existence, cover our ears from the wails of the poor and hungry, keep our mouths from spreading the truth about politics, health, and peace?
Why would be want to ultimately win souls when we cold not even prove to the poor, hungry, hurt, and bitter people that while we are still in this world, we are capable of deciding for our lives, that we can chart the courses of our lives however trying our present situations may be?
How can we bring them into eternity, into a place of utmost bliss, when we ourselves cannot show to these poor, hungry, hurt, and bitter people that we too are worthy of that afterlife?
Can we do it when they see us struggling with problems on finance and family, leaving a life of compromise, jobless, and obviously tired and fed up of the things we are doing?

No, I would not buy the promo of eternity if that would just deceive them, pull them away from the real things of this existence.

I would instead share to them the goodness that will be brought in trying to achieve, specifically understand, the reasons behind our existence – its meaning and the role it plays in other people’s lives. In ultimately knowing that, they would come into terms with the bad things happening to them and to the other people in their immediate environment and consequently achieve a greater sense of freedom amidst a world torn by wars, hate, inequalities, hunger, and poverty. Only after that would I openly receive the details of that eternity thing.
----
I decided not to speak for the whole duration of his talk for a number of reasons. First, I would want to hear the whole of his arguments. Second, I would want to really understand what his beliefs are. And third, to have a complete set of thoughts in which to compare, even at least to certain extent, my own. It was a good decision because from that, I’ve realized the blind beliefs I have adhered to in the past. I would want to get more involved with the people around, I should have said to him, with their affairs and with the meaning of their existence. There are greater degrees of aspirations that are way above his naïve examples of wealth, fame, pleasure, and women. If only he knows how much he could gain from understanding the lives of our people, I would have gladly partaken in that hearty meal we were having.
I just hope that when the time comes that I will be the one to speak to him about that thing, he would be patient enough to to what I have to say. 

6 comments:

sleepmoonfaerie said...

I'd have to give it to you for keeping quiet. It is rare, especially for someone as outspoken and idealistic as you, to be able to achieve that. ;)

As for me,I guess showing acts of random kindness to random people, is somehow, a way of saving their souls. They may be suffering but you will be amazed at how a smile and a small act of sharing could be a turning point in their lives.

If you could do more, of course, that is always good. But Benazir Bhuttos, Gandhis, and Ninoy Aquinos are born only once in a while to lead a sweeping global change What about ordinary people like us right? What can we do? :)

Pransis said...

thanks for the thought ate.
to a large extent, medyo pessismistic lang siguro ako..(-.-)

sleepmoonfaerie said...

i admire your big dreams. malayo ang mararating mo :)

rimewire said...



hakhak

aliw

natuwa naman aku dun

hakhak

elyens

XXXxx

Pransis said...

ayayay.tsalamats!

Pransis said...

As for me,I guess showing acts of random kindness to random people, is somehow, a way of saving their souls. They may be suffering but you will be amazed at how a smile and a small act of sharing could be a turning point in their lives.

I recalled these words nung last time na naghold kami ng 'Amazing Race' activity para sa mga bata sa isang Gawad Kalinga site.
'Dun ko nakita na masaya na 'yung mga bata sa konting katuwaan na maibibigay mu sa kanila; 'yung tipong mababaw lang sa iba, pero sa kanila malaking bagay na 'yun.