Monday, July 14, 2008

Usapang Enerhiya sa Maynila

It was the 30th Annual Scientific Meeting of the National Academy of Science and Technology; my second attendance to such a big event. As usual, it was held again in the “historical” Manila Hotel. (No one can blame me if I walked all the way from U.N. Avenue LRT Station to the venue. I knew the taxi was my only solution to the problem of finding Manila Hotel, but I fought against my laziness and my kakuriputan won over it.)

Of course the posters sessions in the conference (a blend of traditional and electronic) was an attraction – I met people from
U.P. Visayas and National Institute of Physics aside from the equally appealing set of food served as buffet (but sadly, I lose myself again to those meat dishes, gggrrr!) I will admit that I was not able to fully attend the parallel sessions themselves because of unexpected events, i.e. poster discussions, academics chikas with other presentors, the quest for the book of abstracts, certificates of appreciation among other.

But since my spirits were still high during the morning session, I was able to focus on the speeches / (halos) lectures of a number of important people there. Well most notable of all would be the one given by the present secretary of
Department of Energy Angel Reyes (a man of a hard face, probably adapted that during his military days, hehe but a person who's into humor also).

Basically his talk dealt first with an introduction on the concept of energy, how it is related to politics and economics. Then he talked about the current energy situation in the country along with the potential sources of the Philippines for renewable energy complete with figures to support them. Along with the potentials came the strategic actions of the energy sector. From here it looked like it went beyond what one should expect from a “keynote address” as it became
somewhat boring to me (I am just comparing this address to the one given last year). And so I learned also from other attendees that they felt the same thing too. Nevertheless, his presence is significant one especially with the theme “Energy Security and Sustainability: Assessing the Present and Foreeing the Future.” (Although I did not particular liked the way he evaded a question in the press conference later that morning, tsk tsk.)

With regards with the “...Assessing the Present...” part of the theme, I think we already have an overabundance of assessment and stuff-we know already how we can harness this or that part of the environment in order to have sustainable energy.

But as far as the “...Foreseeing the Future...” is concerned, ah... I think that would a bit too clear for all of us. Even some the speakers (whose lectures/speeches I was able to hear) would prove how (difficult) the future can be properly envisioned. Stained with the all too obvious bureaucracy in the government offices, one PhD actually received the finding for his research on a certain biodiesel after 2 years! As an MS graduate from UST whom I met there said, that's how sad and disappointing the situation is here in the Philippines, that we have the best people yet no mean of achieving the goals of these bet people. And so consequently one cannot expect growth and development here.

The theme (even the whole event itself) not only spoke of and dealt with the problems, challenges we are facing concerning energy but is in fact a realization of the interconnection of the other things – poverty, corruption, (poor) education among other.

I don't think it is unfair it put the blame in the government. With the slow pace of work we are seeing, one cannot help snort and blurt a short mocking opinion to the people manning the public offices.

I am yet to learn what the outcomes of the sessions were. But as my new UST-grad friend has said, let me just enjoy the the freedom of being able to communicate with other science-related people, and perhaps I'm to be the one who would soon seat there in front urging the fast implementations of those courses of action they are saying.

4 comments:

rimewire said...

--

astegen, parang mahilig tau sa mga sayans eksibit ah

pisiks ba kors nio?

hakhak

tama, hndi lng naman gobyerno may kasalanan eh, ung mga ngsasayang ng enerhiya den, tulad ng ng-iinternet n wla nmng katuturan

hakhak

elyens

XXXxx

Pransis said...

ay dapat naman magtiped tiped tau kahit papano. =)

panu ka nga pala nakakuha ng sm scholarship?

rimewire said...

--

nung hayskul may exam para dun, tpos aun, nkapasa ako

ngunit limitado lng ang mga kurso na pede kya mejo mhirap din

hakhak

elyens

XXXxx

Pransis said...

wow aus un ah.
i used to have one rin c/o dost kaya lang tapos na.
eh medyo nagahahanap hanap din ulet ako.