Saturday, March 1, 2008

Simple Citizens


I woke up rather late this morning owing to the strenuous works this week has given. I was not able to finish the Wikipedia article about Macbeth as it was still there right in my face as I struggle to sit up from my rather curled position in which I have found myself.
It is quite a fruitless attempt to deny even to myself the mountainous works that lay ahead for me but still I chose, over the raging skirmishes of thoughts in me, to just go outside and have a breath of a Saturday air.
The first sound that greeted me was a fire alarm, resounding throughout the length of the eskinita I was traversing. Yeah, I realized, start of the Fire Prevention Month. I emerged into the ground of our Post office hoping to find the fire truck but was nowhere to be seen.
And so I continued my walk up to the mini-park put up by Kiwanis. Beauty indeed is the first thing that came into my mind as I looked over the lake and the cloud-covered mountain in its background. Peace, peace, peace! I looked around and saw how peace was painted on the faces of those early-morn joggers and strollers around the perimeter of our famous lake. But then I cannot help but swept my thought into the streets of Makati, where yesterday hundred thousand people were moved to be together to express their angst into the events that have put veils of doubt into the credibility of the present government. Much of the country seems to be at peace, and when there is a national concern, most of us, if not all, are in such places of peace: a majestic lake, with the sunlight bounding and playing with its waters, a morning scene which could actually intoxicate us.
As much as my heart wants to be side by side with those seeking to find the truth, there seem too much to do first: school stuff, extra curricular jobs, among other. And I think that is the same with a large number of Filipinos. I thought, if one chooses not to do something about the haunting issues concerning our higher officials,that would sound okay given his own personal reasons. But what if suddenly, one day, all of us decided to do just the same thing, where would we find ourselves?
In the sidelines watching the fruits of the toils of the people spent and used by those who stole them?
In the junk places as in Payatas hoping to find our possessions, perhaps ourselves, which have been nabbed by those greedy ones?
I may be concluding too early. The outcomes of the investigations, or future trials maybe, would be the ones to confirm these nagging thoughts.
But the whole point of it is that, we have seen and heard all the form of lapses committed over the past several years. And hear this. IT IS THE PEOPLE’S MONEY, ENTRUSTED INTO THE HANDS OF THE GOVERNEMNT THAT IS INVOLVED HERE. And not just that. THE FUTURE OF THE NEXT-GENERATION OF FILIPINOS IS AT STAKE. WE IF LEAVE THE PRESENT INTO THE HANDS OF THOSE DISHONEST GROUP OF PEOPLE, WE CANNOT HOPE TO FIND A BETTER COUNTRY IN THE FUTURE.
And that is why I wanted to put an end into all of these inquiries. If there are things hidden from the public, to which the government and the whole of its elements are accountable after all, then they must be revealed now. If there are people that must be held responsible for the wrongdoings, let them have the rightful punishments. Exceptions are hard to give out when delicate and important themes are involved, the people and the country’s future.
If we don’t invest the effort and time, if I don’t invest the effort and time, then such scenes of peace would be sadly relegate into the realms of fairy tales, which I personally would not want to happen.
Let us do now our own ways of urging the present administration to come and face the allegations put against them. These are not signs of rebellions. We are simply citizens and in times such these, we are but searching for the truth we need.
Phoyo Credit: www.dipolognon.com

No comments: