Monday, February 25, 2008

Carving the Country’s Future NOW



Amidst the (seemingly) hectic schedules I have imposed on myself (practices, book readings galore, travels, among other), I fortunately found the time to tune in to my long lost favorite station NU 107. Things have been quite different now, remembering that “Against the Flow” used to be on Saturday nights but is now scheduled at every Sunday afternoon. Heck, I would not find the time to listen to all those many songs even if I were given the chance to have free internet surfing for like one month. Radios are still indispensable, I daresay.
Well, we were suppose to have another band practice last night since my cousin informed me that he has already come home from his job. I doubted that it would still be possible since it was already around 7:40 in the evening and the studio where we play, I estimated, would be closed by that time (although they profess that the studio closes at 9). Anyway, I asked them to check it out and voila, indeed it was already closed. And by that time, the segment in NU was already manned by RockEd people, the group that visited our school during the recently concluded Feb Fair.
I immediately recognized the voice of the anchor/DJ/or-whatever-you-call-it as the woman who spoke for RockEd at school. Well she had Satur Ocampo and the present Student Regent of the UP System. (The woman seemed to enjoy playing with Sir Satur’s name, like calling him “SAT” or “S.O.”. At least Sir Satur did not bother with any of this stuff).
Anyway, they talked about the times when Sir Satur was still at his college days, and somehow compared it to what is going on in today’s student college lives, as represented by the Student Regent (I just forgot his name, sorry).
What was cool about the conversation was the first hand account of Sir Satur’s escape during the Martial Law and one line that struck me was “it was his duty to escape”.
For the more serious part now:
For the whole duration of the talk, I was able to reflect on their ideologies and aspirations for the country and at the same time search within me if ever there was any moment that I have been of the same thinking with them. Then my mind soared into the seemingly peacefulness of my three years in college and wondered if ever they ever had any contribution to the country as a whole. Don’t ask for the results of my muni-muni and analysis. Suffice it to say that I was quite disappointed with my self.

Recovery however comes to me now rather quick and those negative thoughts suddenly evolved into a resolve to make the best of what lies now ahead of me and utilize to the best of my capabilities the field which I am currently pursuing and chose to pursue for many years to come.
The Student Regent had a point when he gave an example about a chemical engineer who cannot afford to join in the rallies and leave his laboratory. He said we can express our disappointments and grievances in many different ways, be it small or big. His solid example is wearing of a pin or of a band which, he said, really says a lot already.
And so with this, I realized my undying hope to end the bad things about the government which was actually born during my high school days (for this thing, I owe a lot from my social studies teacher, despite…well… the inadequacies on his role as a real teacher). Also, I realized that I can do something for this country, using the arsenal of knowledge to which I have full access. I felt the tickling of the thought that this all sound corny and passé but I immediately brushed it away. I am old enough, I told to myself, to know the defining differences between right and wrong and must therefore use this wisely and not subject myself to too much emotion playing. (Sorry for the things I’ve done anyway...Hey-o!)
Chances are, not too many will be able to read these words. But to you, a chance reader, let it be known to you that we, and I mean we, each one of us, has an inescapable role of making this country a better place to live, not just for yourself and for your remaining years, but also for your children and the child
ren of your children and their children. We will all be heroes in our own ways if we will be able to carve something, however small, for the future of the Philippines.
I am always in the habit of alluding specials events, things, etc. to dates. And so, I thought it must really be a good day to start a revolution, from within this time, just in time with the EDSA Revolution Commemoration today.


Mabuhay and Pilipinas!


(For us, the children of the first bloodless revolution in the country, let us always bear in mind that we owe a debt of gratitude for those who braved the machine guns and tanks of the tyrant during the past three decades. We are now tasked to preserve the freedom that our people have fought for, even at the cost of their lives.)

(Photo credits: http://www.pcij.org/ and http://www.mtholyoke.edu)

www.rockedphilippines.org
www.milleniumcampaign.org
www.uplb.edu.ph

No comments: